Pages

Jan 15, 2011

Touchscreen gloves!

It was cold in Hokkaido a year ago when we went for the Sapporo Snow Festival. Jim tried to operate his iPhone without taking his gloves off by swiping the touchscreen across the tip of his nose. It didn't work too well. Since then, I've read about crafty hacks like sewing conductive thread into the fingertips of regular gloves, and possibly apocryphal hacks like using convenience store sausages in place of fingers. I've always preferred gloves with no fingertips at all (I cut them off if necessary, which is about as crafty as I get). Before Christmas this year, I was excited to find a big selection of touchscreen gloves at Tokyu Hands. Here's a little post I did on Pulse about some of the touchscreen gloves that are out now.

One kind didn't make it into the story, because I couldn't remember what they were called. I got them for Jim for Christmas. They have arrows on the fingers pointing to the conductive bits. Kind of a low-rent Tron effect. A few weeks later, one of the gloves still works great. The other one... like Jim said, they work a lot better when you don't lose them. Ah, well. Maybe they'll come out with a line of snazzy mitten clips next.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

FAB! Off to find these!! Thanks a bunch!

NC said...

Cool! I've also seen leather gloves created for electronic devices that got rave reviews called iTWY (i-touch with your fingers). The company is in Canada. Not sure where they ship to.

Andrew Lightheart said...

I saw in this month's The Knitter (WHAT?!) someone had knitted gloves which had flip-top ends on the thumbs so you could text..

Google Analytics Alternative