Pages

Feb 19, 2009

Sign me up


Shh. I have a little secret for riding the trains. A "hack," if you will.

When one train comes and its screws are popping out and the steamy windows are cracking and the people burst out like popcorn out of a Jiffy Pop, and then they stop coming out and there is still a solid wall of people jammed right up to the open door, I do something crazy. I step out of the way of the herd that hurls and mashes itself into the train like a physics experiment in supersaturation and I wait, alone, on the platform.

When the next train comes, usually about 45 seconds later, it is, more often than not, all oxygen and open space. Sometimes eerily so. Ahh.

Don't tell anyone.

2 comments:

Holly said...

same here. i don't understand why people get onto crowded trains. like another one is never, ever coming?

kate said...

beautifully written!

Google Analytics Alternative