Pages

Nov 4, 2009

Transform yourself into a beeyootiful princess...


...at home.

This happens in Tokyo as in New York and, I would wager, as in any city that has both women and subways. Every so often someone pulls out some makeup  - maybe just a mascara, maybe a full traveling vanity - and goes to town.

Whether it's a touch-up or an overhaul, I can't help watching.

It's partly the pull of a good before-and-after story. A powder puff or some blush on a brush is nothing-to-see-here; I'll probably go back to my crossword puzzle. But the danger of some of the other implements! It's like watching a drunk guy wander toward traffic. You can't look - but you can't not look. Have you ever gotten close to a mascara wand? Close enough to see the individual bristles? I've been known (I know, I know) to pass a few furtive swipes through my lashes when the train is stopped at a station. But bringing that row of tarred, sharp bristles within a blink of an open eye on a crowded, moving train - elbows, swerves, and sudden stops be damned - is drama. Pointy pencils for eyebrows and eyelids are only slightly less riveting. If she doesn't actually lose an eye, she could easily end up with a crazed Cleopatra line around it. The stakes are different, but still high, for lipliner pencils and lipsticks. Miss the recorded announcement that "the train will sway, please be careful," and people will be asking all day "Why so serious?"

I'm not bothered by people playing beauty parlor on the train the same way I am by, say, nail clipping or sinus clearing. Unless you are really clumsy with the concealer, it strikes me as a relatively victimless crime.

I think a better warning would be "apply makeup at your own risk."

7 comments:

Daniel said...

So sad - she makes her cute little freckles disappear! I sort of fancy Japanese girls with freckles.

E Mckenzie said...

Thanks for replying (didnt think that would happen lol)

E
UK

Holly said...

yes, exactly! this was so hard to watch yet so hard to look away from.

Jon Allen said...

I was watching a couple of girls putting on their makeup on a train last month. It took them the whole journey of almost 30 minutes to complete the task!
If only they had been sitting under such a poster, it would have made such a great photo.

In fact there was an article in the Japan Times last month about a similar point, that Bunpei Yorifuji's posters don't address the more serious behavioural problems on the trains.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20091027vf.html

Trixie Bedlam said...

or hey, please don't do it. you look fine without it, ladies!

/feminist ranting

thatmegathing said...

i, for one, am full of shame when i take even a moment to primp on a train, but sometimes it's a necessary evil. i liken my makeup to armor, and if it's gonna be a particularly rough day i will make certain (F train or wherever) that i am outfitted in thick, black liquid eyeliner. i am a pro. come watch me at work, sjb!

AdventureRob said...

The woman looking through the window in that poster looks very angry at the make up girl. I think it's because she's ugly.

Google Analytics Alternative