Pages

Dec 25, 2010

Happy merry Christmas!

A student tattled to me that an American colleague had wished her "a merry Christmas." She watched my reaction, waiting for the laugh. I asked delicately what she thought was wrong with that.
"Well, don't you need a.... an adjective before "merry Christmas? I mean, "merry Christmas" is the full, or... formal name for "Christmas," right? So shouldn't you say "Happy merry Christmas" or "good merry Christmas?"
She's a good sport and thought it was as funny as I did.
So, good happy merry Christmas to all, wherever you are and whatever day it is right now. Please enjoy this playlist of J-pop Christmas songs compiled by my Twitter friend Tim. There are some classics on there, like Christmas Eve, My Lover is Santa Claus, and the one I dare you to get out of your head, Jin-jin-jingle Bells.
No need to thank me! Let me know if you find a favorite.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative