Pages

Jul 24, 2008

My thoughts exactly

This little gizmo gives advance earthquake warnings. How far in advance? This ad shows it calling for a big one - in five seconds.
There was a rattler last night that sent ducks squawking into the sky. Had it been any closer than its 300 miles, I wonder what that five seconds would have bought?

UPDATE: I wasn't looking at the pic when I wrote this. It's 8 seconds to a Japanese-scale 5 quake, I believe.
Also, I imagine this thing being kind of like the novelty "weather forecaster" that was a rock on a string - you know, if it's swaying, it's windy; if it's wet, it's raining.

If your beepy gadget is shaking and covered in dust, you're having an earthquake.

5 comments:

Guns said...

How much/little do you think you'd get accomplished if this was a function on your watch? I'm no bird watcher, but I think those were crows taking flight

Holly said...

enough time to step out from under that chandelier?

Joshua McKerrow said...

So, there's like a seismic activity monitor in there? What?

Aron Ahlstrom said...

That probbaly works as well as my wrist mounted Ectoplasmic Activity Array or my holstered Scrutinized Deluxer.

Trixie Bedlam said...

just enough time to tell the person standing closest to you that you've always loved them.

Google Analytics Alternative