Pages

Sep 29, 2008

Any color you want

As long as it's clear vinyl with a white plastic handle.

Top commenter Trixie raised the excellent point that see-through umbrellas should cut down on run-ins. And they do make it easier to see where you are going. 

However, I am frequently the only person squinting quizzically up at the sky with a dry umbrella rolled tight while people under nearly-dry umbrellas bump and scrape each other left and right squinting quizzically at me. (Once, a colleague walking next to me in a light mist asked why I didn't put up my umbrella. I said it was because it wasn't raining.  She gave me a confused translation-error nod.) 

Clear umbrellas make it easier to see other people, but 99.9% umbrella usage at the first hint of precipitation means there are a lot more umbrellas on the street on any given cloudy day, so, poke-in-the-eye-wise, it's a wash.



2 comments:

Trixie Bedlam said...

OK, but the idea here is ingenious - an umbrella you can SEE THROUGH so you don't RUN INTO INNOCENT PEOPLE because you are huddled under your umbrella like a LITTLE SISSY WHO IS AFRAID OF RAIN.

sorry to be all shouty, but I am the exact eyeball-height for the metal tippy bits on umbrellas, so this is a sort of pet peeve of mine. go Japan!

Sandra Barron said...

couldn't agree more! come visit and we can be the only two umbrellaless people for miles around.

Google Analytics Alternative