Pages

Dec 1, 2008

Why are the receptionists always frosty?

The dozens of stylists were friendly, though. I talked to/was handled by five.


When I made the reservation, the receptionist said to call again if I couldn't find the place. I couldn't. When I called from nearby for directions, I almost just canceled the reservation out of embarrassment. She sounded so fed up, I felt like an idiot for not being able to glide right to the (nifty wide, center-hinged) door. (The place is well hidden - you actually have to go into an unmarked building entrance and through a courtyard to find it.) But while I was hanging my head in the waiting room, she answered the phone and gave the same directions three more times to locals, so I felt less bad.
It is a nifty three-story warren of lacquer-trimmed rooms with a fashionable jumble of antlers, owls, antique wallpaper, and artfully placed musty luggage. A faded Mona Lisa sits propped on the floor against the wall in a chipped gilt frame. She and I traded bemused looks while I got my hair washed and ears swabbed once and then, later, again.
There are so many stylists bustling around - carrying stacks of magazines, leading customers from one room to the next, passing messages from the front desk to each other, and wheeling carts full of shiny sharps and strange bottles - that it feels like an arty ER.
My main stylist was a chatty, pretty Japanese lady with blond hair who seemed like she'd been carrying around a list of things she would love to ask a foreigner if she ever got the chance. Like, "I know someone from Greece and she only washes her hair every two weeks. How often do foreigners usually wash their hair? Japanese people usually wash their hair every day, even though it's actually bad for it." And, "Sometimes I use web sites to translate Japanese to English, and I don't speak much English, but it looks like it comes out pretty strange. Does it? It does? I knew it!"
She cooed again over the size of my skull (small) and the consistency of my hair (thin strands, but plentiful) and walked me all the way to the front door.

I can't make heads or tails of the website, but it's pretty.
Bloc de Zenith, Shibuya, near the ward office. 03-5784-3228

2 comments:

Joy, The Aubergenious said...

Oh YES! So great!!

Trixie Bedlam said...

hot in '09: phone-face. look how long your hair is!

I got handled by frosty receptionists and friendly Japanese stylists yesterday. it's a rewarding experience.

Google Analytics Alternative