Pages

May 2, 2019

I hope there's cell reception in Haleakala

It was on the quiet side, so I was standing out in front, ready to "intercept" people coming in, per instruction. A lady in tall boots, a long cashmere cardigan and moto-style yoga pants approached, and I heard her tell the person she was on the phone with that she was about to rent a bicycle. I hustled over to the register, making a mental note to ask where she'd gotten her yoga pants after she hung up. I waited as she stood in front of the counter saying, "We're trying to decide between Haleakala and the Road to Hana. I mean, we could do both." She looked up long enough to tell me she needed a bicycle. I picked up one of our little contract/clipboard combos and started to tell her the parts she needed to fill out, but she was back to talking, so I just tapped the blanks with the pen and pushed both toward her. "I mean, we'll be staying at the Ritz, so they'll be able to help us plan, either way."
Surely she's wrapping up, I thought, so I waited to ask her what kind of bike she wanted. She pushed the contract back toward me, looking into the distance. "I mean, Haleakala is supposed to be amazing, but I don't know if everyone is going to feel like it."
I held up my clawed hand in the international gesture for "I need your credit card." She slapped it down on the contract. I ran it and gave her the receipt to sign, which she did without pausing her conversation or looking up.
"What kind of bike would you like?" I asked, even though she was still talking. Fine. Beach cruiser it is. I grabbed one, set it up next to her and adjusted the saddle height to her size.
"Not that one. I need a basket. We probably shouldn't skip Haleakala, after all." I swapped bikes, crossed out the bike's serial number on her paperwork and adjusted the height. "I have to go, I'm getting on a bicycle now," she said, and finally hung up. And took off. I never did get to ask about her yoga pants, but by that time, I didn't care anyway.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative