Pages

Sep 28, 2010

Is that an umbrella in your waistband?

Why yes, yes it is.
----
Despite specific reminder announcements on the train, lots of people leave their umbrellas behind. I see one orphan on the floor by the door now, and I took an empty seat next to one hooked over a handrail this morning.

Quite a few guys use this foolproof, if slightly unelegant, method: the belt hook.

I use a variant when I'm carrying too many things, hooking the umbrella onto my bag. I often forget it's there when I do this, though, sending it clattering to the floor as I get off the train. Talk about not elegant. I'm tempted to try to pull off the belt-hook manoeuvre, but even though another youngish guy in a nice suit was doing it on the train tonight as well as our rumpled friend above, it still reeks a little too much of absent-minded old man.

5 comments:

J said...

I do the belt hook, the bag hook; we're in a minority still. Hook away!

Rosie said...

I suggest you affix it, samurai-style in back holster. it will be the next big thing.

Firebongo! said...

I carried a laptop bag with me when I was in japan. I always hooked my umbrella to it, and it was always coming off in interesting ways. The best was when I'd somehow kick it just right to send it flying a few feet away. Usually into oncoming people.

Andrew Lightheart said...

Stylish.

Anonymous said...

Is that an umbrella in your waistband or are you just happy to see me?

Google Analytics Alternative