Pages

Sep 7, 2010

Re-entering Tokyo's atmosphere

So, today was my first day back at work. My smarter half had arranged to take the day off. So he's all relaxed, has his pictures sorted out and thinks it was as cool and pleasant out all day as it was when he first set foot outside at dusk. Ha! I'm handling re-entry kind of like a piece of shuttle debris handles re-entry. But not quite as gracefully. I don't even know what the problem is, besides that my house key is AWOL, a lot of our friends left for good while we were gone and although it is as steamy as a hamam, there are no tan Turkish men standing by for scrubs and massages. I went to the loveliest of shady cafes yesterday, but couldn't get my head around an "appetizer assortment" of 5 olives, a few shavings of prosciutto and a few gumball-size orbs of mozz for 1200 yen. Bread? Extra. And jet lag kept me from falling asleep until four. Lack of sleep is my quickest personal shortcut to misery. Also, an old man elbowed me getting off the bus this morning. I swear he had to actually go out of his way to do it, too, because I wasn't blocking his path. It was like he was swimming up the aisle with a wide stroke, looking for something to jab. Feh.

Anyway, here's a few seconds of anti-commute. Repeat as needed. And like CNN and AP say when they don't feel like editing user footage, this video is raw. That is, the only sound on it is wind distortion. Sorry, video editing is next on my list of things to learn. Maybe mute it and put on some music you like?

1 comment:

Katie said...

Ahh, the return to the city after a holiday. If it's any consolation to a Tokyo resident, New York adds 'filthy' and 'gritty' to the heat and humidity. Tokyo looks exquisitely clean, even if it'svbaking into oblivion.

Maybe that old dude was trying to give you a giant bear hug, like 'welcome back, stranger!' No?

Google Analytics Alternative