Pages

Oct 3, 2008

That's bananas

The big craze sweeping the nation and emptying the produce shelves this week is the "morning banana" diet.

You have a glass of room temperature water in the morning and two bananas.

The rest of the day, you eat whatever you like.

Ta da!
A Dole spokeswoman said this morning that banana imports are up 25-27%. (She didn't say if that was before or after the so-called "banana boom." They've had a well-advertised foil-envelope-goo product on the market for at least a few months called "morning banana," and I wonder if they started this whole thing on purpose.) [This suicide fruits picture is not Dole - it's a copycat that just appeared maybe this week.]

Girls interviewed on the street for a morning news/variety show said they were all doing it, and their mothers, too.

I've found that bananas here are tougher and less sweet than at home and cost three or four times more (a buck or more per individually bagged piece), so I haven't been eating them. I miss grabbing a cup of coffee and a banana on the way to the subway for a dollar. I was a banana diet pioneer!

Except that a panelist on the news just mentioned having coffee with her morning bananas, and the rest of the panel jumped up to remind her that you are supposed to eat them with water. Your magical fad diet will never work if you do it wrong!


3 comments:

Trixie Bedlam said...

this diet would totally work for me, as even the smell of bananas puts me off eating for hours.

I'd offer to send you some...but the shipping damage might be catastrophic. robo-banana?

Knox Harrington said...

How I miss you

Guns said...

Japan gets more than 80 percent of its bananas from the Philippines. No shortage, just a little payback or pay up going on.

Google Analytics Alternative