Pages

May 29, 2009

So that is what New York is all about

The New York edition of Starbucks convenience store "Discoveries" line is the skinny latte.
Milano is the "birthplace of espresso," Seattle is the "hometown of Starbucks" and Bruxelles, which is represented by a tasty dark mocha, is the "city famous for chocolate."

New York? New York is the "metropolis devoted to skinny lattes." I'm not sure I like that. One thing I miss about home is Half and Half in my coffee. (I've convinced myself on occasion that a glug of it in the morning coffee has enough protein, fat, and calcium to qualify as a light breakfast. Without Half and Half, I'm reduced to eating real food for breakfast.)

But the drink isn't bad. It's sugarless and doesn't have artificial sweeteners or salt in it like some canned coffee does. At Starbucks shops, they don't sell this stuff, but they do have free book covers at the pick-up counter advertising them. The covers look like this downloadable desktop wallpaper. I suppose you could print them out and wrap them around your paperpacks if you wanted to. Except for the off-message wallapaper that is an unglamorous snapshot of the Reuters building, a bunch of taxis, and a few summer tourists who don't look like they want anything to do with skinny lattes.

2 comments:

Reannon said...

I used to drink those and think that it was so clever of Starbucks Japan to take advantage of the Sex and the City fad that made NYC so popular.

Ironically, most of NY isn't all that skinny...so a New York version of 'skinny' would actually be kind of fat. But whatever, Japanese people think NY and they think Sarah Jessica Parker so I bet it sells well.

Sandra Barron said...

Yes! I thought Miranda when I saw these. And as that wallpaper proves, NY is not so skinny overall.

Google Analytics Alternative