Pages

Dec 15, 2009

Good Samaritan of Hibiya

I was engrossed in a podcast of This American Life last night, moving through a crush of people down the subway stairs when I felt a tug on my shoulder. A Japanese guy in a shiny down vest was holding out a white cellphone with its bare battery and cover carefully piled up in his hands. My cellphone. It must have fallen out of my bag when I took out my wallet to pass through the wicket. I hadn't noticed. The guy and a woman in a matching puffy jacket were pressed against the bannister above me, smiling, and I was twisted around as people continued to pass around us. I said "Thank you, sorry, sorry, thank you," and they bowed and turned back up the stairs against the flow.
Nice, eh?

5 comments:

kate said...

aw, so nice. hope they get extra treats from santa this year.

Kelsey said...

Super nice. Be sure to do something nice to some random person, so the universe understands that you returned the favor!!!

Dekooning said...

Practice senseless acts of beauty and random acts of kindness..

belayb said...

Maybe they were the same people who handed in my phone when I lost it in Ebisu a while back. Or even better, maybe they weren't.

owenandbenjamin said...

I like those stories.

Google Analytics Alternative