Pages

Dec 14, 2009

Odoriyaki is Japanese for nightmare

Note: My most sensitive friends shouldn't read this. Go on, get out of here.



I stayed at a luxurious hotel in Hakone this weekend with a spacious tatami room, gorgeous views of Mt. Fuji from its own outdoor hotspring, and delicious gourmet dinner and breakfast. The food gave me nightmares.
I often say things are bound to give me strange dreams, but I rarely mean it*.  I actually woke up at three in the morning haunted by abalone. I couldn't get back to sleep. See, at dinner, right between the soup and the sashimi, they brought out some abalones to cook at the table. Fine. Except, they are big, meaty critters, and they were still moving. I can't explain how hideous it was. I looked away when one looked like it was trying to launch itself out of its shell. I peeked again a few minutes later and... shudder.
If you had asked me in the abstract, Do you believe abalones experience suffering? I would have said Nah, pass the lemon. But the way these things writhed and kept writhing over the fire was unbearable. 

The waiter grinned that it's called odoriyaki "because it is like they're dancing." Remind me not to go dancing with that guy.


*Except about the Himalayan curry. That is true.

8 comments:

J said...

I am about to leave for work feeling terribly sad about abalones... thanks a bunch! :-)

Adamu said...

Call me cruel, but the writhing of the abalones has never bothered me. They are so good with beer or nihonshu that I wouldn't care if they started shrieking and begging for mercy.

Anonymous said...

You're gonna love the odorigeoduck...

Sandra said...

Jen! Sorry! I know!

Adamu, cruel, cruel, cruel!

Anonymous, that is truly a terrible mental image you've given me. Thanks. I guess Jen is avenged.

Anonymous said...

No crabs, lobster, clams, or oysters for you! They all get boiled alive!

Joshua McKerrow said...

The clacking of blue crab claws inside the pot as the water gets hotter and hotter....

R said...

That's really sad! Sorry you had to see that, were you able to eat a full helping still?

Sandra said...

Anonymous (II?) and Josh, don't think I don't know! It's funny, the crabs clanging on the pot never bothered me like the squirming. I guess not "funny" exactly, but yeah. You always hated that, didn't you?

Google Analytics Alternative