Pages

Feb 23, 2011

Hey, I put some marathon music in your bananas

I was walking around Aoyama one sunny day when I stumbled on a Tokyo Marathon pop-up shop. They were selling bright lime green and pink running gear and giving a presentation on how to do your hair and make-up for long runs. (Did you know there's a "golden point" where your ponytail should be?)
The woman running the thing offered me some mineral water and a sports banana. Sports banana? Yes, they're launching a banana at the marathon that's smaller than usual and higher in citric acid (Japan loves citric acid! Why?), making it the perfect banana for sports. (Not like those other bananas, that are a real pain to carry.) Between you and me, it kind of sounds like they found a new way to sell runtier bananas for the same price as bigger ones. But still, kind of interesting from a marketing standpoint. And then she dropped that oh, by the way, they're getting the bananas ready for the marathon by blaring a Japanese pop song throughout the enormous ripening facility for a week. Check out the whole story on Japan Pulse. It's bananas!
This is the song.
It's kind of the Eye of the Tiger of Japanese pop music.



4 comments:

Holly said...

yay! marketing people both crack me up and annoy me to no end. and confuse me.

Sarahf said...

There's a golden point for your ponytail? If only I'd know, I wouldn't have cut all my hair off And I've been merrily eating the normal bananas. I feel such a fool...

Sandra said...

All these gifts marketing brings us!

DVD distribution said...

Thank you very much for this post, it's very informative and BTW I really dig this site so I'll be indicating it to my friends so keep up the good work that have been done on this site.

Google Analytics Alternative