Pages

May 18, 2012

Mint Crunky is kind of... crunky

It's that time of year, when the Twitter feeds of gaijin in Japan are abuzz with Mint Crunky sightings.
Somehow I missed the Crunky experience last year. Part of the fun is that they take a little luck to find, and I guess I'd never run across them. Yesterday I found them staring up at me from the shelf at Lawson. People go out of their way for these, and here they were, just sitting, so I felt a kind of obligation to try them. If you are a devotee, I'm going to ask you to stop reading right now. There's enough gaijin-on-gaijin rancor out there, and I don't want to start anything. But I was disappointed.
The chocolate-covered pellets are like a diluted York Peppermint Patty and malt ball mash-up. It's neither very minty nor very crunchy. It has little "mint capsules" that snap in your teeth like something that isn't supposed to be there, an effect like specks of gristle in a hamburger. It's still a sweet little nugget wrapped in chocolate, it's not like it's painful to eat. It just made me wish for candy that has more conviction.

1 comment:

Adamu said...

I had assumed the Twitter Mint Crunkophiles were talking about the ice cream, not this stuff. I tried this too and it was kinda gross. They should have just kept the rice puffs and added mint flavor.

The ice cream on the other hand is a dream unlike any other.

Google Analytics Alternative