Pages

Jun 30, 2010

Two crazy ways to wake up

This is a new(ish?) green tea blend from Asahi. It's called Morning Blend. Know  what's so morning about it? It's zero caffeine. You know, just what you want in the morning. What?! I hope you've noticed that I don't like to be all "Whoa, Japan's k-k-krazy," but this defies explanation. What's the point?

Okay, I promised two crazy things, but this second is actually totally reasonable in comparison: breakfast ramen. I wrote about this "asa-ramen" for pulse. Tokyo Walker, a magazine that has a bit of a tendency to cry Trend! called it a trend. Actually, they called it a "boom."  I would want to see a line around every ramen shop on every corner to feel comfortable going with "boom," but there do seem to be more ramen shops open at dawn now than a few years ago, so I don't mind saying "an increasing number." (See how boring it is inside my head?)

Please check out the story. It has a photo of a big, greasy bowl of ramen at the top. If you're on the breakfast side of the world and that doesn't sound appetizing, you can come back at lunch time.

I've never had ramen for breakfast, but I would. I got used to savory breakfast (fish, rice, miso soup, pickles, leftover sushi) the first time I was here. No different than a slice of cold pizza for breakfast, really. And we all like that, don't we?

8 comments:

Claytonian said...

Re: Title
Thinking of some other food?

Sandra said...

You were too quick! C'mon back...

kimiecat said...

A shameless blog fan
says "morning ramen: gross" but
good to know about

Andrew Lightheart said...

I appreciate the measured nature of your internal dialogue.

At least I know you will only call trend or, heaven forbid, 'BOOM!' with good reason.

AdventureRob said...

Waking up with a non-caffinated drink is weird.

Sandra said...

Yes, Andrew, if I say it's a boom, you better believe it's a boom.

Rob, couldn't agree more.

A. G. Booze said...

Man, breakfast ramen sounds great to me!

That is all.

Sandra said...

Come to Japan and you can have some.

Google Analytics Alternative