Pages

Mar 23, 2009

I was told there would be video games

The three-day weekend ended with a rainy girls' day out in Yokohama for some culture. Noisy, strobe-lit culture at the Red Brick Warehouse. We went to see a dance performance by Hiroaki Umeda. In large part because the promotional photo for it looked like Tron:












Neat, right? It turns out that's another piece. What we saw was also cool. It looked like this:











Still neat. Another reason I went was because it was called "Haptic," which is a word I learned when I was home in December. (It came up in conversation in the context of the way technology reacts to touch - specifically, the way a touch-screen phone gives a little bzzt to let you know it knows you touched it.)

I think the program said this piece was about light as an actual thing that touches your eye. I don't know if it's really "about" anything, though. I don't know much about dance or how it's talked about. The music was minimalist and industrial and he moved like a hummingbird robot. It felt like the music responded to his movements instead of the other way around. Maybe that's where haptic comes in?



He'll be in New York in May at the Japan Society. Go if you are around. And not epileptic.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Isn't it when you score three goals?

Google Analytics Alternative