Pages

Nov 13, 2009

Have you ever named the rain?

I'm getting ready to go pluck a dusty orphan umbrella out of the office stand and head out again into the rain. It's been coming down on and off all week. I hate carrying an umbrella and then ending up not needing it, so I have gambled and gotten wet a lot.

Anyway, to end this damp, chilly week, I am reprinting here something I put in the comments of Havi Brooks' Fluent Self blog a while back, an exercise in naming the rains. I thought it was goofy, but then I did it and it was fun.
Naming the rain, Japan edition.


Bottom Pedal Rain, or I can’t believe they are making me ride to work on a borrowed old bicycle in a typhoon even though it is only my third day on the job and my second week in the country and how can I sit in an office all day when I am wetter than I have ever been in clothes in my life, and is it even remotely safe to ride a bike with my feet splashing through flowing water on every down stroke?


Travelers' Stories Rain that makes everyone whip out the most exotic locale in which they were ever rained upon, except for one level-headed friend who remains unimpressed and points out that they have some pretty heavy rain in Virginia, too, and would everyone please just get over themselves.

Glaze Rain that makes the rocks in the gardens and the cobblestones and inlaid tiles in the streets of Kyoto glisten like maybe they aren't actually meant to be seen any other way.
Mass Hysteria Non-Rain Rain is barely a mist or maybe a few little drops that don't add up to anything, but somehow everyone is hunched under their umbrellas as if it were actually raining because everyone else is. Carrying a rolled umbrella will cause everyone to look at you confused and you will feel a bit smug about being able to judge for yourself whether or not it is actually raining.

The Rain of Subway Stair Traffic Jams and Reproach makes each person stop at the top of the crowded steps to put up his or her umbrella, and it makes you hate each one of them and mutter things like “would the %&#* world really end if you stepped out from under the awning first and then put up your %&#* umbrella?!” and then when it's finally your turn, you stride past and put up your own umbrella while walking as an example and then feel guilty for being like that and not just waiting patiently like everyone else.

Plum Rain is what rainy season rain is actually called in Japanese and there is no way to improve upon it.
 
Tourist Obligation Absolution Rain is a gift on weekends that removes any traces of guilt from staying home and reading a novel or watching a movie (in English) and not looking for new places and cultural experiences to explore.

7 comments:

Holly said...

yes. i've totally taken advantage of that last one.

Dekooning said...

I've never really thought of naming the rain, but now that you've inspired me I've got one--Nasturtium Rain. When it rains here I often take a look at the nasturtiums in my front yard. The little beads of rain on the petals make for wonderful photo ops.

Anonymous said...

should I stay or should I go decider rain
when you're sick and feel you could possibly manage to get through a days work, but then you look outside and its pouring, well...

E Mckenzie said...

Arrgghhh... it's been raining the past 2 days here in London, Uk toooo ... :(

Buddha Mom said...

In Florida when I was a kid, we had names for the rain. Gator Gusher, Toad Strangler, Warming Rain and Bone Chiller were some.

Sandra Barron said...

Fantastic! Love how this brings up names, memories... nasturtium rain is lovely. Life is better knowing that kids in Florida talk about "Gator Gusher, Toad Strangler, Warming Rain and Bone Chiller."

Yes, decider rain is on your side. Always listen to decider rain.

Anonymous said...

1. Rain of the East coast of England. Cosy murky clouds hanging across Constable country. Best viewed with a glass of Adnams ale.
2. Rain next to lakes in British parks in summer. Glassy, ploppy, refreshing.
3. Rain that leaves the last of the cherry blossoms slippery and squashed.
4. Run for your life summer storms in Tokyo. ‘Do you want to use it right now?’ from store clerks selling you a brolly.

Google Analytics Alternative