Pages

Apr 14, 2010

Coffee/social grace taste

I took the Starbucks Via taste test challenge today. I sipped from the two paper shot cups and knew which was the instant coffee. I named the right one with confidence. Which means, of course, that I was totally wrong.

The nod from the woman in the green apron was something between disappointed and annoyed. We both turned to the woman of a certain age behind me, who was tickled to try the coffee she'd seen on TV that morning. She was a Japanese steel magnolia (steel tsubaki?), powdered, coiffed, brooched and charming. "Let me try," she said. She sipped, and went blank for a moment, like everyone on TV does when tasting anything.

"Why, I don't taste any difference at all. They're just exactly the same!" Ah. That, of course (of course!) was the right answer. "It pleases me so much that you feel that way!" the aproned one beamed. Some lame need to not appear ungrateful or blunt made me try again. "Yeah, I mean, they're both really good, right?" I said.

We each got a coupon (buy three Vias, get one free), even if mine was handed over reluctantly. I put it in my wallet.

If I try Via again, next time I'll try adding a little sugar.

1 comment:

Sara said...

They were giving them away at one point, so I have a packet of Via in a few different bags/purses, "just in case" (a.k.a. "just like the caffeine addict I am"). Hooray Coffee!

Google Analytics Alternative