Pages

Apr 2, 2008

Cash On Delivery. Or whenever.

A friend helped me order a washing machine online on Tuesday afternoon, and King Kong Electronics (would I make that up?) said they would send it COD the next day, no delivery charge. As directed, I called the number in the confirmation email at nine this morning, and they said they'd be here at 10 at the earliest. Another friend chuckled and warned me to settle in for a long wait.

The delivery man rang the bell at 9:55 and wheeled the 50kg box upstairs and into my front entrance. He presented the bill and that is when I remembered.

In my surprise at the early delivery time - I was expecting them to say they'd come in the late afternoon, or even the next day - I forgot to go to the bank. To get money. Cash. On delivery.

It didn't seem worth trying to explain to the guy whose truck was idling outside that I had gone across town to get to a Citibank last night, and that the 24-hour ATM was located on a floor whose elevator closed down at 8 pm. Or that the ATMs at the four convenience stores and two banks within a two-block radius all just spit out my card. He was standing there with my washing machine in a box and an empty envelope to take back to King Kong. So I told him I didn't have enough cash and asked if I could run out to get the money. I was mortified.

"I'll just come back later," he said, smiling. "This afternoon, after lunchtime or so. Be careful moving the machine into place, maybe have someone help you. It's heavy."

He was already heading out when I said, "Are you sure? Is that okay? Really?"

"Sure," he said. "You're not gonna skip town or anything, right?" Then he bowed, waved, and got into the elevator.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

And now you're back in New York with a brand new washer. Very clever indeed.

D said...

Sandra,

The ATM problem seems to be a big one here. I arrived a few weeks after you did, so I'm sure you know this already, but here's my ATM advice.

The only convenience store that provides a working international ATM service is Seven Eleven, but they do it almost without fail.

Most post offices also provide one, which is (I've head) commission free.

I'm enjoying your blog and will add it to my RSS program. If you're interested in yet another take on this startling country, I also have a blog which can be found at: www.mindthegapyear.blogspot.com.

Z said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Z said...

wow, i'm sure he's risking his job for doing that for a customer-stranger.

(must've been the very surprised look on your face whenhe arrived early, im guessing ;P)

it's really nice of him =)

Google Analytics Alternative