Pages

Apr 21, 2008

Saving the Planet, 10,000 pamphlets at a time


I wandered into Earth Day in Yoyogi park yesterday looking for rockabillies. It turned out to be Earth Day (observed). I don't imagine Tokyo's Earth Day celebration is any more or less hypocritical or unfocused than anybody else's. There was a garbage tent, with running chalkboard totals of the kilos collected of different types of disposables: burnable, unburnable, plastic bottles, cans, etc. There was a man in front of this tent handing out plastic bags, urging everyone to take home their own trash. Does redistribution equal reduction? Maybe it was just about raising awareness. Maybe, probably, I missed something.
There was a man in wire rimmed glasses holding the rapt attention of a tent full of people on wooden benches. He was talking about Chinese vegetables and pointing to a projected slide of leeks under running water.
A domed 4-person tent was set up with the invitation to write or draw a "time that makes you happy" on the surface with marker. They were sweet and environmental - "When I'm with my mother and father and the sky;" "when I'm in the garden."
Free Tibet. Organic coffee. A heap of used clothes that were being sold "so they wouldn't be burned." (Clothes are tossed as burnable garbage a lot more often than they're donated here.)
Truthers have even made it here. One tent was showing a documentary in Japanese about the truth about 911. They had stacks of DVDs and eight-dollar paperbacks translated paragraph by paragraph into Japanese. They had something you could sign, too. I didn't stick around to ask what purpose the signatures were serving. Or how they were saving the planet.

2 comments:

Trixie Bedlam said...

just to give you an idea how out of it I am, when I saw "the truth about 911" I thought, "what? like the Public Enemy song?"

ahem, yes. back to my wasteful and ignorant American ways.

Alex said...

Compared to other places, I think Japan has a larger scoop of dumb mixed in with its green movement. Stuff I've seen:

1) A t shirt that reads "Carbon neutral" next to a plasma screen TV in a shop that no one is watching

2) A guy wearing a "Green campaign" sash and handing out tissues wrapped in plastic

3) A parked taxi with the words hybrid written on it while the driver sleeps with the engine running

the list goes on...

Google Analytics Alternative